This guide includes all items you/your cadet are responsible for providing to go along with all issued uniform items. This includes items for:
(Suggestions for where to find all items are located here)
- Swim Gear
- Navy Work Uniform (NWU) for all cadets
- Black combat boots for all cadets, No zippers and all Leather
- Black dress shoes for all cadets
- Dress uniform nameplate for all cadets
- Dress uniform for League Cadets only (dress uniform for Sea Cadets is issued, but picture showing location to sew flash applies to both cadets)
- Other suggested items
- All cadets are expected to wear solid black or navy blue swimwear
- Males must wear swim trunks (no speedos or brief style)
- Males may want to purchase a solid black or navy blue (same color as trunks) quick dry shirt but many times they will be required to wear their issued PT shirt.
- Females are required to wear a 1 piece solid black or navy blue swimsuit.
- If the female prefers to wear a shirt over their swimsuit, it is recommended that the shirt is no longer than the swim suite and the color matches the swimsuit.
Navy Working Uniform (NWU) -All Cadets
- Name Tapes
- For above left pocket of blouse:
- USNSCC (Sea Cadets only)/USNLCC (League Cadets only)
- 3 Last Name in all caps for (one for parka not shown below:
- Above right pocket on blouse and above back right pocket on pants
- For above left pocket of blouse:
- Flashes will be issued (no need to purchase) but will need to be sewn on right blouse pocket and on cover. The larger flash goes on blouse and smaller goes on the cover.
Once the Navy Working Uniform (NWU) has been issued to the cadet, sew the purchased items onto the uniform as shown:
- Dark blue undershirt (should fit small or snug to stay in place under NWU blouse)
- Tall Black Socks for boots. White socks may be worn under black socks and must not show.
- Boot, Combat, Black
- Description. Plain steel-toed, laced 8 or 9 inch high top made of water resistant leather with rubber outsoles.
- Correct Wear. Keep clean, well blackened, and in good repair. Lace shoes from inside out through all eyelets and tie. Bootlaces will be tucked in a manner to present a well-kept appearance.
- Blousing straps (used to “blouse” the bottom of the uniform pant leg to over the top of the boot). Here are some examples:
- Canteen – Nalgene BPA Free Tritan Oasis Canteen 32 Oz Narrow Mouth (can be found on Amazon or Nalgene.com) BLUE to be used for NWU
- USNCC Approved Dress Shoes
- This is a pin on plastic nameplate that only includes the cadet’s last name.
- Solid white SLEEVED undershirt to be worn with dress white and dress blue (black)
- Black socks, to be worn with black dress shoes
Items Specific to NLCC Cadet Uniform Requirements
- Solid black slacks
- (Winter only) Black long sleeve button down Oxford shirt (can be found at Walmart, George brand)
- (Summer only) White button down oxford short sleeve shirt (can be found at Walmart, George brand)
- Sew on the appropriate provided flashes (can be transferred between winter and summer)
NOTE: Word of caution, if you buy male pants, you have to buy male shirts because the “gig” line has to match. Male shirts button left over right while female button right over left, same with pants.
Other Suggested Items
Bags: New Cadets will be eager to purchase a bag to carry all of their items to and from drill. Encourage your cadet to wait 1 or 2 drill weekends and observe what the other cadets are using. Some prefer to use backpacks, some prefer to use duffle bags. It depends on the amount of gear the cadets prefer to bring with them each drill weekend, and how well they can pack items away.
Records/Documents Storage: It is a good idea for every cadet to MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING before they turn them in. This way, when the cadet is told that item was never turned in, they can MAKE A COPY of their copy and turn one of the copies in. With this said, you may want to purchase an expanding file folder and start working on labeling the sections. I.e. “Coursework”, “Absentees”, “Uniforms” (to keep copies of uniform requests) and etc. You can get a plastic expanding file folder with 6-8 spaces from Walmart for a very low cost.
Running Shoes: Cadets need to always bring running shoes and issued PT gear to drill.
After you have reviewed uniform items, go back towards the beginning of the regulations (link at the very top) and review Chapter Two Grooming Standards. Neckerchiefs only apply to Sea Cadets, not League Cadets. Neck ties will not apply.
Also be sure to review Chapter Two Grooming Standards. These will apply to your cadet when it comes time for the uniform inspection before approval to graduate Indoc.